VMware is a leading software development organization in virtualization and cloud computing headquartered in Palo Alto, California, U.S. Founded in 1998 by Diane Greene, Mendel Rosenblum, Scott Devine, Ellen Wang, and Edouard Bugnion. Dell Technologies holds the highest percentage of equity shares in VMware since 2016.
VMware Products And The Use Case
VMware has developed 100+ products so far. In this blog, we are going to discuss the majorly used VMware products.
- Workstation Pro – Type 2 hypervisor which can be installed on top of Windows or Linux operating system. Features like VM creation, guest file sharing, VM snapshot, Clone, Encryption are available. This product requires a license.
- Workstation Player- Type 2 hypervisor which can be installed on top of Windows or Linux operating system. Basic Features like VM creation, guest file sharing are available. This product is free for personal use. For commercial use license is required.
- Fusion Player for Mac – Same features as workstation player exclusively developed to run on top of Mac OS. This product is free for personal use. For commercial use license is required.
- Fusion Pro for Mac – Same features as workstation player exclusively developed to run on top of Mac OS. This product requires a license.
- vShpere ESXi – Type 1 hypervisor is installed directly on the physical server. This is the base software for virtualization in VMware
- vSphere vCenter – Centralized management software to manage, monitor, configure the ESXi hosts.
- vCenter Converter – A free tool to convert the operating system/machine from physical to virtual, virtual to virtual. This tool is very easy to use, and the migration is done in just a few steps.
- VMware vSAN – Hyper converged Infrastructure solution which provides redundancy at the node level, better performance, easy to scale up and scale out without any downtime. Best suited for general-purpose workloads, VDI, and enterprise applications. VMware vSAN is a feature available in vCenter which can be enabled by assigning the appropriate licenses
- VMware SRM – DC-DR Replication/Disaster recovery solution. VMware SRM Integrates with the vCenter at the DC & DR Site. VM Replication can be achieved by hypervisor/storage array-based replication.
- VMware NSX V& T – NSX -V Software Defined Firewall solution for workloads running on top of vsphere Esxi which integrates with the vCenter to simplify the management, monitoring & configuration. NSX -T has the same functionality as NSX-V with the additional support for 3rd party hypervisors
- VMware Horizon – Virtual Desktop Infrastructure solution which simplifies the provisioning, management, remote access, upgrades for the workload’s machines, applications. Also, better utilization of the underlying hardware, better user experience & security
- VMware Workspace One – A digital workspace platform for multi-platform end point and application management, digital workspace insights, remote support for the digital employees.
- VMware vRealize Suite – The private cloud solution which gives the public cloud like experience on-premise. vRealize suite includes vRealize Automation, vROPS, vLI (log Insight), vLM (life cycle manager)
- NSX SD- WAN – The Software Defined WAN solution to connect multiple branches/locations through any type of connectivity broadband/3G or 4G dongle/ MPLS/VSAT with zero touch provisioning, bandwidth aggregation, optimization, dynamic multipathing, etc.
There are different types of licenses are available for VMware products. Most of the product licensing is based on the CPU socket. For few products licensing is based on the Operating Systems Instances/VM’s. There are also multiple license editions (Essential, Standard, Enterprise) for most of the products. In the next blog, we will explain the VMware products licensing in detail.
Are you looking for any VMware solution and would like to explore the product features and functionalities? We Zindagi Technologies can help you with our professional services such as consulting, Proof of Concept, Planning, Designing, Implementation & Operations. You can give us a call on +91977397397 to get in touch with us. If you are curious about our services, then please visit our website.
Data Center Consulting Engineer