DID YOU KNOW, that around 61 million ransomware cases came up in 2019 according to Gartner, the cost to recover the hacked data is increased as well and has gone up to $84K and this does not include the loss that is incurred during the downtime. Managed cyber security services are a way to put a stop to these expenses only if the security is strong enough. If your business is spread out in a multi-level way, then the cost to get ransom cleared on each level would be so heavy.
Way back in 2018, there was a company that refused to pay $51K in Bitcoin as demanded in ransom and since they were not prepared for a ransom attack, the time taken to repair the changes was one year and the amount used for the repair was $2.6 million.
Ransomware Primary Delivery Mechanism – Prevent Phishing And Emails With A Common Mechanism.
Phishing is a very old method and a classic example of extracting information. If there is open-source information available, then there would be an advantage taken by phishing campaigns. There might be a leak in information from the post that we make on digital platforms. A post helps the hacker in a way that they might contain personal information.
Some of the common traits that phishing emails have:
- Words that display urgency like, act quickly or limited time deal, mentally force a person to act quickly.
- Pop up windows asking to login or address or date of birth or any other personal information.
- Link inside link to take you to the support center and indirectly asking your personal information details.
- Distractions like company address, phone number, or too much detail make the person skip and add personal details.
- Directly asking for information on the pretext of a survey.
What Are The Best Backup Practices And How Can We Properly Implement The Backups?
Backups are your ultimate weapon of winning against a hacker. Now imagine this, you have been hacked and your hacker is demanding money in bitcoins that is twice the worth of your turnover. In order to get the data back, you have to pay, but what if you have backup data? This is where you win some part of the game as with the help of cyber security services you will have your backups done daily. It’s also important to keep in mind that the backups are easily accessible, and you have a recovery plan from a known cyber security solution provider.
- Whenever you access backups, you make sure that you do it from a different system so that the ransomware spread can be held up.
- Backups should be housed in different locations and platforms like the cloud. Cloud provides good security and having different secret locations will help. Keep your backups password protected.
- If by any chance your backup fails then you can always test the backup tools and in this way, you will be able to know what to plan further and how to do it.
- You might have to activate many backups at odd times. This way you will ensure that you are not only planning for testing but also for recovery and emergency planning as well.
What Are The Steps One Should Take After A Ransomware Attack?
- The first step is security, and one has to keep it alive from a technology and organizational point of view.
- Do not panic as it will only make things worse and stop your ability to think right.
- Disconnect from the internet and record your actions, also identify what kind of ransomware is used.
- Run the clean-up tools like anti-malware or open source software. After containing an infected system, you can start the active backup process.
- If you are using windows 10 (no judgments here), then you can use the factory reset button and it will allow you to reinstall the operating system completely.
A ransom attack can happen anytime, anywhere, and by anyone. It’s time that the organization should be prepared with the help of the cybersecurity service provider so that we can help you with the plan and implementation of the process. We will not only secure your website but initially, we will run a VAPT test so that you have an idea about the weak points of the website. To know more about cybersecurity and how can we be your help, drop us an email or you can also message us your query at +91 97739 73971.
Senior Executive, S&M